WILKINS

[John E. B. Mayor, Cambridge Professor of Latin, to his brother the philosopher J. B. Mayor.] Autograph Letter Signed to 'Joe', attacking his former pupil the classicist Augustus Samuel Wilkins, and giving a list of references to Cicero.

Author: 
John E. B. Mayor [John Eyton Bickersteth Mayor] (1825-1910), Professor of Latin at Cambridge [his brother Joseph Bickersteth Mayor (1828-1916); Augustus Samuel Wilkins (1843–1905); St John's College]
Publication details: 
No place. 'Wednesday Evening' [no date, but 1870s].
£80.00

References to the recipient's 'little ones', and to 'Jessie and the children' would date the letter to the early 1870s. Of particular interest is the criticism of Mayor's former student 'Wilkins', this being Augustus Samuel Wilkins (1843-1905), later Professor of Latin at Owens College, Manchester, who had been President of the Cambridge Union in 1868. 4pp, 12mo. The letter, signed 'John E B Mayor', covers the first two pages; the final two pages carry a list of around twenty textual references to Cicero, at the end of which are a few more in pencil in another hand (J. B. Mayor's?). Bifolium.

[ The Soakers' Club, a 'convivial club' in Covent Garden. ] Club rules and 'Promoter's Address' by Julian Sharman, printed by the Chiswick Press.

Author: 
Julian Sharman, 'Promoter' of the Soakers' Club, Covent Garden, London [ The Chiswick Press, London ]
Publication details: 
'Printed at the Chiswick Press' [ Chiswick Press: - Printed by Whittingham and Wilkins, Tooks Court, Chancery Lane ]. 1874. [ Sharman's address dated from 'Covent Garden, | May, 1874.'
£50.00

[1] + 13pp., 12mo. Stitched. In fair condition, lightly aged and worn. A tasteful production in grey printed wraps. Elaborate pseudo-seventeenth-century design to title-page replicated on front cover. Five-page 'Promoter's Address'' to 'My Friend and Pitcher', signed in type by Sharman, followed by a page listing the five members of the 'Committee, 1874-5' (Julian Sharman; Henry S. Leigh; Bourchier F. Hawksley; Jas. J. Railston; F. W. Robinson), and five pages carrying the club's fourteen rules.

[Two printed documents in one.] St. Thomas's Hospital | Royal Charter. | 12th August, 5th Edward VI. (1551). [Dated 26th June, 7th Edward VI. (1553) incorporating the Hospitals of Christ, Bridewell, & St. Thomas.]

Author: 
[Royal Charters of St. Thomas's Hospital, Southwark, 1551 and 1553; Bridewell; Christ's Hospital] [Chiswick Press, Whittingham and Wilkins, Tooks Court, Chancery Lane]
Publication details: 
Chiswick Press: - Printed by Whittingham and Wilkins, Tooks Court, Chancery Lane. [1860s]
£250.00

7 + 10 pp., folio. Stitched and unbound. Printed front wrap, with vignette and 'St. Thomas's Hospital | Royal Charter.' in black letter. Worn and aged, with heavily-worn front wrap detached. Each of the two sections has its own drophead title, and printers' slug on last page. Tastefully printed on thick paper, with vignettes above the two drophead titles. All text in Latin. Scarce: no copy in the British Library or on COPAC. Whittingham and Wilkins were active in Tooks Court in the 1860s.

Syndicate content