[Plas Yn Rhiw Estate, now a National Trust property.]

Author: 
Plas Yn Rhiw Estate, in the parishes of Rhiw and Llanfaelrhys, Wales [William Dew & Son, auctioneers; National Trust manor house]
Publication details: 
To be Sold by Public Auction, by Messrs. Wm. Dew & Son, At the Crown Hotel, Pwllheli, On Wednesday, the 11th day of March, 1874. [Douglas Brothers, Steam Printers, Bangor; Waterlow & Son, Lithographers, London.]
£250.00
SKU: 21232

[1 + 4 + 1 pp], folio, folding into packet with title printed crosswise in customary fashion. With coloured plan by 'Waterlow & Sons, Lithographers, London' tipped in, folding out to 55 x 100 cm, titled: 'Plan of Farms in the Parishes of Rhiw & Llanfaelrhys, known as the Rhiw Estate. Scale, 4 Chains to 1 Inch.' Unbound. The catalogue worn and frayed at edges; the plan on better paper, creased and worn. Addressed in manuscript: 'Bookpost | Mrs. Glynne Griffith | Bryn Llwyd | Llanfair p. g'. Divided into 16 lots, each with name of tenant given, following which: 'The whole of the Property is beautifully situated close to the fine Bathing Beach at Porthnewydd Bay, commanding most extensive Mountain and Sea Views, close to Bardsey Island. There is excellent Deep Sea Fishing off the Coast.' No copy at the National Library of Wales, and no other copy traced, either on OCLC WorldCat, or on COPAC. The National Trust acquired this 'manor house with ornamental garden and wonderful views in Llyn Peninsula, Wales' from the Keating sisters following the Second World War, and gives this account of its history: '17th century building was for John Lewis, whose family descended from a ninth-century King of Powys and had been at Rhiw since the Tudor times. The house passed down through the family to Jane Lewis, who married William Williams, the owner of Plas yn Rhiw in 1811. Their daughter married Captain Lewis Moore Bennet, and, as was often the way, it was probably their marriage that led him to remodel and enlarge the house in 1820. The north kitchen wing was added in the mid-19th century and the estate remained in the family until 1874, when it was bought by Thomas Roberts and occupied by a succession of tenants. One included Lady Strickland who may have laid out the garden. Plas yn Rhiw was later passed to Mr Roberts’s son and was eventually abandoned. In 1939 the Keating Sisters acquired Plas yn Rhiw.'